How to backup/export email to a .PST file in MS Outlook 2010
This is a short tutorial about How to backup/export your emails into a .PST file in MS outlook 2010 to use it to restore emails in a different computer. I have outlines a step-by-step guide with images to guide you through. Well, you may wish to backup your emails as a safety precaution. Or, if you happen to lose them at some point because of computer cleanup/formatting or virus attacks, you can then import the .PST file to a fresh new setup of MS Outlook 2010 and import all your emails back. I have come across to this method while backing-up my emails while shifting from one company to another. So let's get things moving. How to backup/export email to a .PST file in MS Outlook 2010
Step by step guide:
1. First of all launch your MS – Outlook 2010 from your computer and navigate to the File option (which is on the top left corner of your Outlook) as below:-
2. After clicking on the File menu. Please select the Advanced option as below:-
3. After selecting Advanced option you would be able to see the following Window with the options. Click on Export
4. Following window will be front of you, where you have to select Export to a file and click Next
5. After clicking Next you would get the following window. You need to select Outlook Data File (.pst) option and then click Next
6. Now Outlook would prompt you to select what to Archive from your e – mail account. By default, Include subfolders option is ticked which you can remove as per your requirements. You can also Filter out your folders or what to archive and then click Next
7. You get the following window which ask you where to export your Outlook data file or PST file. Click on Browse
8. Now you can Browse and select a specific path (recommended) for that file or you can let it Save to its default location (not recommended)
9. Give a name to your Archive file as you want and click OK.
10. After clicking OK you can see the following Window which would show you the path to your data file as you selected.
11. If you are happy with your path and all other previous settings then you can click Finish to let it Archive your data to a .PST file
12. This process may finish in few minutes or can take several minutes depending upon the file size.
13. Please do not interrupt this process once started.
Hope this helps you to backup/ export your emails from MS Outlook 2010. If you have any question, please feel free to comment below. Thanks for reading !
Join the Forum discussion on this post
Latest posts by Karan Sharma (see all)
- How to backup/export email to a .PST file in MS Outlook 2010 - September 23, 2012
- OSI Model Explained (Beginners’ Guide) - September 16, 2012